How will you support my child when moving schools or classes?
We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.
- If your child is moving child to another school:
- We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
- When moving classes in school:
- Information will be passed on to the new class teacher and in most cases; a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All important information will be shared with the new teacher.
- If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.
- In Year 6:
- The Inclusion Manager will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of their secondary school, and the specialist staff for students with an ASD, as appropriate.
- Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
- Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school?